Monday 23 November 2009

Dealing with the desire for money

QN:
 
2009/11/23 Supreet Kalsi <supreetkalsi@yahoo.com>
Ik Oankar Sat Naam Ji Fateh Ji

Dandaut Parvaan Karna Ji

I love the way you explain everything. It hits home because I've experienced so many things you mention in your emails, which helps me make sense of things and that is the greatest help. Thank you a million times for sharing your thoughts, your experiences.

Even in the message below, where you mention that when we meditate, maya attacks harder at us and the deepest desires come true. Even Dhan Dhan Dassan Dass ji told me that maya is showing its full colors to us (family) because we've been blessed with Naam.

My first love from high school had been my deep desire for long time. We were together in high school but it didn't work out and we didn't talk to each other for 9 years. But all this time she was the one I wanted to be with. So finally I gathered the courage to ask her again after 9 years, and we were together again because she had some feelings for me too. I couldn't believe it, I was with the girl of my dreams (my deep deep desire). And just like you mentioned, first we see heaven and then hell. It was heaven for around 3 months and everything seemed wonderful and then it all turned into hell as she realized that we're not compatible. Hell lasted much longer than heaven did. I understood my mistake, learned from it and that deep desire was finally GONE! I realized it too and thanked God for getting that desire out. So what you've said makes perfect sense!!

The real reason for this message is to seek some guidance on the other deep desire, which is money. As meditation and naam simran gets better, I am able to understand the mind more and more. I now understand its powers, and how to make use of those powers. Like setting goals, using Law of attraction and changing your life to however you want. I have not done anything like this, but I understand how it works. I used to have limiting beliefs, which are all gone pretty much. I feel like nothing is impossible and anything is achievable with the power of the mind. I've always felt like I am not using my full potential and that I am not making as much as I am worth. So, now my obvious desire is to use my mind's capability to make more money.

What confuses me, because I am a fool and don't understand anything, is that on one hand it seems like I can now live my life more proactively and more positively, on the other hand it seems like maya is attacking and making me chase my desire for more money. So I don't know what to do. I don't understand if I should just ignore what I've understood about mind and not use it for any personal gains or try to improve my life and live more proactively. I definitely don't want to go through another heaven/hell cycle. But how can one tell if it's maya attacking and showing me ways to fulfill my desire for making max use of my potential? I keep wondering where I should just keep going like this, staying in an entry level job or use my abilities to better my career (make more money)?

Thanks again a million times! Please share this with others.

REPLY:
 
Dearest Veer Ji,
Dandauth Bandhna ji
 
Dassan Dass ji has said it very simply that working honestly to improve our standards is a pure and pious thing to do.  He said that "work is a pious activity".  So working honestly and hard is good.  Working by taking bribes and cheating and lying is not good.  Baba ji has also said to treat our manager as a Guru, our colleagues as our sangat and our work as our seva.    How will this transform you?  Because work wont bite you, thoughts like "I'm not working ot my full potential wont bite you", or "I'm not earning enough" or "I should have got that promotion instead of him," or "I hate this place, I need to get out".    Just think when you go to the Gurdwara and do seva, you wouldn't expect someone to come and pay you for washing the dishes?  And because we have no expectation for ourself when doing SEVa we leave feeling satisfied, feeling we have been useful, we have cleaned our soul, and we are closer to God.  If we have the same attitude at work, then we will always leave feeling satisfied - Maya doesnt bite.  And Baba ji said we will only receive the amount of money that we are destined to.  So someone maybe working 100hours a week to their full potential but earning little.  Another person maybe working a few hours and earning a fortune.  In maya we are under the illusion that we responsible for how much we earn.  But that is ego.  Because ego wants us to think we are the do-er, we are the controller and ego gets disappointed when we are "not working to our full potential".  But Dassan Dass ji has taught us that Sat Naam Karta Purakh is the One and Only Do-er.
 
In our last job we were really bored and frustrated and resented being there.  but with Guru ji's kirpa the spare time we had we just id the website seva.  Then we felt guilty for not working hard and honestly, (but there was not much work to do anyway).  Baba ji told us not to feel guilty as our seva was accepted and that as long as we were doing the work we had and not getting behind it was fine.  Also we said to baba ji we want to leave.  Baba ji said that was our desire and we shouldnt follow our desires.  But if the company wanted us to leave to take that as Hukam - Gods desire fo us.  So we waited and six months later the company offered voluntary redundnacy which we accepted and walked away with 6 months salary.  Then we had no desire to find another IT job as we wanted to do something diffferent like full time seva by starting a meditation centre, but Baba ji said to us that we were better to do our technical job for 5 days and seva for 2 days.  We did not want to hear that, but accepted that if we have mad a Guru then we should override our own wants, with what God-Guru Ji wants.   So we prayed to Baba ji to give us motivation to do our technical job.  We started revising for interviews and suddenly found our IT books really interesting again.  We went for two interviews and di Naam simran in ahppy way throughout the day for those three weeks we were revising and off work.  We were offered both jobs we applied for and got one 10 minutes from our house.  Baba ji then said to us that everythin gwas taken care for us because we looked for a new job under the blessings of Naam.  
 
That is the subtle difference between our state of mind when we are working under the influence of maya, then we have desire and that always bites us.  But when we work for the Guru, under the blessings of Naam, then everything is taken care of.
 
Its very simple, we want ot be lovers of God, we want to fall in love with our Guru ji's lotus feet, for that we give mind, body and wealth.  We dont want anything of maya, we want to give our head for the love of the Naam.  Like Guru Arjun Dev ji gave everything including his body for the love of the Naam.   But God-Guru ji is so kind that he knows we need food, money, wife and fammily to live as well.  so under His blessings he arranges for all of that to happen for us.
 
When you go to work, pray to Satguru ji "may we work with your blessings baba Ji, may we work for the glory of Naam , for the glory of your Hukam.  May we work in this place for as long as YOU wants us to. May we trust whatever YOU are doing is the best thing for us.  Please save us from our own desires and wants and foolishness due to Maya."
 
Everytime you study or go for an interview or learn new skills dont make money your motivation, instead say "Baba ji you are the kindest of the kind, please come into our mind, body and soul, and you study and you do the interview."
 
So just bring Sat Naam Sat Guru ji into every aspect of your life including work. 
 
The mistake people make is seeing life as a choice between doing BHAGTI or MAKING MONEY.
 
On this path, working, having a family life, eating, being happy is all part of our bhagti, because we bring Sat Naam  into every activity and we remove desire from every activity.
 
Dust of your feet
Harjit
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sat sangat and sat baba ji quotes 52

Sat Bachans from Dassan Dass Ji... There is no BRAHAM GYANI OR SATGURU BIGGER AND BETTER THAN TRUST, LOVE AND DEVOTION. Trust, LOVE AND ...